SEO Note forum.seonote.info
SEO Note Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CPU Memory & Hang Time

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    forum.seonote.info Forum Index -> Support, Bug Reports and Feature Requests (Old)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summuz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: CPU Memory & Hang Time Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

Tried out the new version. Looks great! Still having the same problem with notes containing bitmap images. One note with about 2 MBs of BMPs took about 15 seconds to load, the CPU spiked at 50% and memory usage was around 40,000.
This is down from the last version I tried which took about 20-25 seconds to load, with around 50,000 memory usage. So, it's heading in the right direction. Keep up the good work!

All the best

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm upto 72% cpu use during file load/save operations... The programmers probably know, but I am guessing that the file open method is internal to "msftedit.dll" I'm not sure if this is just an RTF editing DLL or both a rendering engine and edit control?

I assume you are working in rtf format?

I think how it works is that rtf uses OLE to either link or embed graphics and relies on bitmap routines to handle the pictures! (that would explain the file size of an rtf when you embed just a small jpg) Yet you are working with native bmp files so I'm not sure why that adds to the cpu load? (it should read into memory and paint the screen)

There might be something that could be done about the program resposiveness during this time if the programmers implement it. I'm thinking back to when I was trying to learn delphi....

Application.ProcessMessages;

I just looked that up:
Quote:
Interrupts the execution of an application so that it can process the message queue.

Delphi syntax:

procedure ProcessMessages;

C++ syntax:

void __fastcall ProcessMessages(void);

Description

Call ProcessMessages to permit the application to process messages that are currently in the message queue. ProcessMessages cycles the Windows message loop until it is empty, and then returns control to the application.

Note: Neglecting message processing affects only the application calling ProcessMessages, not other applications. In lengthy operations, calling ProcessMessages periodically allows the application to respond to paint and other messages.
Note: ProcessMessages does not allow the application to go idle, whereas HandleMessage does.

I know SeoNote is not written in Delphi but maybe it will help.... This program makes me wish I could learn howto program like a real programmer because I'm starting to like it so much, I'm interested in the internal workings and stuff!

If I was a real programmer, I would join the SeoNote development team! (LOL, you guys are doing just fine on your own!)[/code]
Fozzy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for good words :)

Yes we known about message handling routine, but we deceide make long operation trought separate threads - but only after maked stable and full funcional version (we also work on another projects and now have hot enough time for this, but step by step we will improve SEO Note)

:)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    forum.seonote.info Forum Index -> Support, Bug Reports and Feature Requests (Old) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: